12 Things I Learned in 2017
2017 was my most difficult year, it was a year filled with highs and lows (mostly lows) and being away from my family and friends made it worst because I don’t have support system. The problem with me is, I’ve had my life pre-planned. I am futuristic and I always follow my own life plan and timeline. The advantage is, I am able to set goals; short term and long term but the disadvantage is, I get disappointed when my plan does not follow a certain path I want to take. I’ve hit rock bottom on 2017. It was actually a combination of success and failure, I wasn’t in between. I lost my momentum and life was disappointing me big time, BUT 2017 certainly did not kill me and I lived to tell the tale of what I learned in one of the toughest year of my life.
1. Love yourself first. May it be your family, friends or someone you are in a relationship with, you must put yourself first. Your needs must be met before anyone else because the higher you value yourself the greater the love that you can give to others. It doesn’t mean you’re selfish, it means you’re secured.
2. There is no such thing as meeting someone at the wrong time. No matter what the situation is, if the person is right, it is the right time. So, if it did not work out between the two of you, don’t blame the time.
3. Don’t put your dreams and ambition on hold for someone. It is what defines you as a person so if your significant other really love you, they will support you in achieving your goals, they will stand by you while you are out chasing your dreams and they will not let you chose.
4. Stay away from toxic people. If the relationship is unhealthy and they are not willing to compromise to fix the relationship, cut ties with them for good. If this is the type of relationship that drains you out, keeps you awake at night trying to analyze things and make you feel uneasy, that means the relationship is not good for you. If they love and respect you, you will not doubt their intentions and you will not question how they make you feel. May the bridges we burn light the way!
5. If someone tells you they don’t want commitment, believe them and walk away. I believe no one is afraid of commitment, they just don’t want to be committed to you. They just don’t see future with you. Save your dignity and leave because you can never change their mind no matter how hard you try.
6. Don’t change your standard. Like what Matthew Hussey said, in relationship we have to keep in mind that 5 + 5 = 10. Women tend to change their standard for the one they love who are not willing to meet them halfway, they would even accept to be mistreated just to keep the relationship. That’s when the equation change. When you fall in love it’s always 5 + 5 = 10. Make sense?
7. If a person cheat on you, don’t ask them to chose. Let them go because in the first place if they really love you they would not cheat on you.
8. If someone cheated on someone for you, there is a high possibility that they will cheat on you for someone else. To everyone who feels euphoric because they got chosen, you certainly did not won the jackpot here. It may be good for your ego that you were able to successfully steal someone from someone else, but let me tell you “Once a cheater, always a cheater”. If the benefit of the relationship no longer appeal to that person and that person find it with someone else, be prepared to be replaced.
9. Take red flags and warning signs seriously. If something doesn’t feel right at the start of the relationship, believe it because that is your instinct telling you. Reassess the situation if it gives you benefit and advantage, if not leave while you can because it will not make you feel any better in the future.
10. Know your worth (then add tax!). Yes, you are worthy. I am worthy! Our worth is not measured by our vital statistics so never settle for less than what you deserve.
11. Gratitude is the right attitude. Always be grateful; for everyone who helped you and family and friends that did not give up on you.
12. Let go and let god. Place god at the center of your life because he never disappoint. Take note of the verse Jeremiah 29:11
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
What I went through in 2017 was a test of strength. I went through the same phase few years ago and thought that it was already the worst thing that has happened to me and I was lucky enough to pull myself back. However, last year was a real tragedy and I have no one but myself. I turned to god and prayed. I’ve never prayed so hard in my life and never a single talk with god that I don’t have river of tears flowing down my face. That was the time that I realized I am stronger than I ever thought I was, that I am resilient, that my faith is beyond measure.
Taking responsibility for myself is my big theme this year. I have gotten off track and lose myself in distraction for 2017 but I am ready to rein myself in this year. The clearer I am with what I want, the easier it is to manifest it. I will prioritize clarity of intent over passing distractions this time.
Jumpsuit: Forever 21
Necklace: Emma & Chloe
Photos by: Cheny Santizas